Our corporate responsibility objectives overlap with a number of significant environmental impact areas. These are listed below in full:
- We will endeavour to take appropriate action to ensure that we minimise our impact on the environment, by adhering to the commitments outlined in our Environmental Policy.
- We will implement considerate construction practices on all developments and refurbishments, including consulting with local communities and stakeholders on large schemes.
- We will seek to apply appropriate sustainable procurement standards for our development and asset management activities, focusing on labour standards and environmental compliance.
- We will seek to ensure that modern slavery is not taking place anywhere in our own business or in any of our supply chains.
- We will look to encourage contractors to use local labour on construction and refurbishment projects where feasible.
- We will work collaboratively with our Joint Venture partners and project teams to understand their needs, delivering pragmatic and practical solutions to their sustainability challenges.
- We will ensure that all of our developments sites and assets implement appropriate health and safety practices in line with regulatory requirements, to protect our contractors, sub contractors, tenants and employees.
- We will respect the principles of equality and diversity in our employment practices.
- We will, where possible, endeavour to comply with the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) throughout our managed portfolio.
- We will work collaboratively with our Managing Agents and Consultants to ensure that our managed portfolio provides best practice to our occupiers in terms of sustainability, environmental compliance and health & safety practices.
- We will review the needs of the local communities within which we operate and in conjunction with our Managing Agents support initiatives that are relevant to our business.
- We will work with our tenants with the aim to manage our assets in line with their occupational requirements.
- We will seek to understand and respond to our investors’ evolving concern for sustainability in the context of real estate development and management.
An endorsement of Helical’s commitment to managing environmental and social impacts is our continued listing in the FTSE4Good Index. The FTSE4Good Index measures the performance of companies that meet globally recognised corporate responsibility standards and facilitates investment in those companies. Maintaining listed status on this Index remains a key priority for Helical, and informs our evolving approach to Corporate Responsibility.